If for some odd reason you haven't finished your holiday baking or you are in search of a new recipe in which time of is of the essence, you must try these Nicoise walnut cookies.
Provencal Walnut Cookies (Petits Biscuits Aux Noix)
1 cup fine chopped walnuts
1/4 lb. butter
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees
2. Chop walnuts in food processor (pulse so as not to create butter)
3. Cream butter and stir in sugar.
4. Add vanilla, nuts and flour.
5. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
6. Make teaspoon-sized ball of dough and place on cookie sheets, 2 inches apart.
7. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until pale brown.
8. Remove from oven and sprinkle immediately with granulated sugar. Allow to cool and then sprinkle with confectioner's sugar.
Makes 25 cookies (double recipe, you will be glad you did!)