My poor Izzy. I have been very cautious about giving him nuts and I held off on doing so until he was well over three years old. He has had small amounts of them since with no ill effect and I began giving him a bit of peanut butter a month or so ago.
Yesterday, after having eaten some apple slices slathered in peanut butter (a great snack for the allergy-free), he broke out in a horrible rash which began on his neck and crept up and down his body. Splotches and welts, puffy eyes and lips. The doctor recommended some treatments and said it sounded like a food allergy, possibly peanut.
The rash began on Saturday morning and although it has lessened, continued until bedtime tonight. We already started to eliminate any possible peanut sources from his diet until we see the doctor.
This whole food allergy thing is scary, particularly if it is a deadly one. This will be a whole new food world to navigate, not to mention the epi-pens and other paraphernalia.
As for eating at home, it probably won't impact our cooking too much. I have never been particularly keen on peanuts anyway and we don't really eat much that contains them but it seems that above all, his chocolate consumption will be curtailed. So many packages of plain chocolate post warnings about being wrapped in factories that process nuts or peanuts. My husband suggests ridding our home of all chocolate..What a dismal prospect. There must be some peanut-free chocolate out there. If not, I will make some!
Izzy Eats: The art of raising a gourmand, one bite at a time
Stirring tales of eating, cooking and foraging in my never-ending quest to provide, great-tasting (local and organic whenever possible) EATS for me and my boy(s).